Server Files

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Not that I want to take an argumentative approach, but has he actually earned his hatred? Surely charging for his work/knowledge isn't something to be inherently hated by itself?

I ask purely as I don't know, not a defending stance

Hate is a strong word, no? I simply don't tolerate rule breakers.

LOMCN Global Forum Rules said:
LOMCN does not allow the sale of server files.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
His past aint the cleanest shall we say.. I wouldn't trust him at all.

Last edited:

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Hatred in the loose sense then, or rather the internet sense if you prefer.

He's still allowed to hover around though :D So I take it he doesn't sell through LOMCN then.

I don't think selling your hard work is necessarily bad is all i'm saying. But it does rather go against the nature of this environment doesn't it?

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:48 PM ----------

His past aint the cleanest shall we say.. I wouldn't trust him at all.

And I'll trust you I think. Not that I had any inclination or reason to need to trust him mind lol

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK

He's still allowed to hover around though :D So I take it he doesn't sell through LOMCN then.

I don't think selling your hard work is necessarily bad is all i'm saying. But it does rather go against the nature of this environment doesn't it?

---------- Post Merged at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:48 PM ----------

And I'll trust you I think. Not that I had any inclination or reason to need to trust him mind lol
Tbh i wouldn't trust myself. ^^ That's this difference between me and you, Iv'e been around a lot longer to see some of the disagreements on this forum

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Tbh i wouldn't trust myself. ^^ That's this difference between me and you, Iv'e been around a lot longer to see some of the disagreements on this forum

I've been lurking for about 8 years believe it or not. It's just the last 3-4 months I've actually taken part. I'm sure my old account still exists in some old DB, but i'm damned if i remember those late teen days.

I seem to know nothing of the 'personalities' that everyone else seems to know however, so that should show how often I 'lurked'. Or how shite my memory is.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

I could ban him but what's the point when he has lackeys on here anyway scuttling around like vermin. The guy hasn't posted in 9 months and you saw how quickly he was notified of his name being "tarnished".

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Meh, I was kinda aware of his name as he posted in the Crystal section saying he was working on his custom version of those... shame we won't benefit from that then by the sounds of it. Was interested to see them, hence my questions.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Meh, I was kinda aware of his name as he posted in the Crystal section saying he was working on his custom version of those... shame we won't benefit from that then by the sounds of it. Was interested to see them, hence my questions.
If you give him money for his updates then he will give them you.. but once you stop he tend's to make the files useless.

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
If you give him money for his updates then he will give them you.. but once you stop he tend's to make the files useless.

I aint gonna charge for my work, so I'm damn sure not gonna pay for his.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Well that's the difference between us and him, Charging for work isn't the problem.. its just what happens afterwards tbh

WargodSius

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 5, 2013
Well that's the difference between us and him, Charging for work isn't the problem.. its just what happens afterwards tbh

I hear you.

I think the main reason I found it intriguing as I'm a web designer mostly, and I often get customers getting annoyed at what I charge for. "It's just a website" or "How could it take an hour to do that? It's just a *insert x*"

Customers often send me the source (images, text content etc) and I work on that. If something takes me 2 hours, you are paying for 2 hours. Then the 'But it's my images, you've just put on a page" etc starts sometimes - as if i'm extorting them lol

It's mostly unrelated/different scenarios, but the two were similar enough to peak my interest is all.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom

No I agree to a degree, but when it comes to server files I personally don't think lomcn would have lasted this long if we didn't have the free files policy

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sounds like a personal vendetta to me. I have no problem paying a professional developer for a great unique product that is stable and secure.

I'm by far not his lackey, but I do respect the rights to his work.

Iceman was going to give me the files as well but I decided I owed it to him to pay him for his work, even after my 2 year break he had no problem giving them to me for a fair price along with source code and support.

I guess it really makes no difference to you guys anyways, rip off and distribute the work of the Chinese why not start ripping off people from our own community. While your there threaten the security and stability of all the mid range successful servers that have paid their dues and continually developed their server for the community you hold so dear.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
I'm not sure what files your using Hershire, is it 2.3 or 2.6? which hes modified, either way you and andreas still rip off Chinese and Korean. tbh wouldn't be an issue if chronicles got the memo of this free files policy ^^

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
I'd pay chronicles for his files haha, I appreciate the work people put into their work and they deserve compensation.

I run a non profit server and I paid out of my own pocket for the updated files.

They are an updated version of 2.3 based on lemon I think. Have sins,archers,mounts, new skills etc..

I only bought the source a couple weeks ago so still sorting through the updates. Until his work with iceman he wasn't willing to part with the source code. Iceman obviously took advantage of the collaboration/failure in fallen heroes and called the code his own.

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
If one of Chronicles or Arcadia team members went rogue and began releasing the source code publicly on lomcn without the developers permission would that be acceptable as well?

I'm just saying this is a very unethical path were heading down if the answer is yes.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 5, 2005
UK
If one of Chronicles or Arcadia team members went rogue and began releasing the source code publicly on lomcn without the developers permission would that be acceptable as well?

I'm just saying this is a very unethical path were heading down if the answer is yes.

this has been attempted already.. LOMCN stepped in and removed,, (You might of noticed Chronicles co-owners are admins on LOMCN)

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Sounds like a personal vendetta to me. I have no problem paying a professional developer for a great unique product that is stable and secure.

What you do with your money is your own business, but you need to respect our ethos so kindly stop talking about it.

hershire said:
I guess it really makes no difference to you guys anyways, rip off and distribute the work of the Chinese why not start ripping off people from our own community. While your there threaten the security and stability of all the mid range successful servers that have paid their dues and continually developed their server for the community you hold so dear.

Pardon? Ripping off people from our own community is exactly what people like Andreas has done... taken files, tools, ideas, help and chosen to give nothing in return without profiting. You seem somewhat confused on the subject

hershire

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 5, 2004
I'm done arguing it's plain to see there's no reasoning with you.

Funny how when it happens to a server involved with admins or mods it's not ok but when it's a mod releasing somone else's work it's fine.

Have a good day!